The Task Force on Autonomous Vehicles and the Law is charged with investigating how the law and legal profession adapt to the rise of autonomous vehicles. Autonomous vehicles raise novel and potentially far-reaching challenges to the law in a variety of areas: liability and insurance, privacy and data protection, infrastructure and transportation, licensing and regulation, among many others. The Task Force will undertake studies of the most pressing issues raised by autonomous vehicles and will develop thoughtful, practical recommendations for the legal institutions of the state: legislative, executive, judicial, and professional.
Report of the Task Force on Autonomous Vehicles
Approved by the House of Delegates on April 4, 2020
New York State Bar Association Announces Groundbreaking Initiative to Examine the Impact of Autonomous Vehicles, NYSBA News Release, June 3, 2019
Autonomous Vehicles Meeting to Discuss Regulatory and Safety Law, NYSBA News Release, September 12, 2019
New York State Bar Association Task Force on Autonomous Vehicles Livestream, NYSBA News Release, October 10, 2019
New York State Bar Association Task Force on Autonomous Vehicles Meeting Livestream, NYSBA News Release, November 6, 2019
Aviva Abramovsky | Data, Ethics, Technology & Autonomous Vehicles, NYSBA Podcast, November 18, 2019
NYSBA Task Force on Autonomous Vehicles Livestream to Feature Privacy, Data and Cyber Experts, NYSBA News Release, January 21, 2020
Task Force in the News
Head of New York State Bar Association Lays Out Agenda, Wall Street Journal, June 2, 2019
N.Y. Bar Association to Study Legal Impact of Driverless Cars, Bloomberg Law, June 3, 2019
Greenberg Says NY State Bar Will Activate Task Forces to Reach Out to Lawmakers, New York Law Journal, August 19, 2019
NY State Bar Autonomous Cars Task Force Eyes New Rules of the Road, New York Law Journal, September 17, 2019
AV testing in Brooklyn, Automotive News, September 21, 2019
Autonomous Vehicles and Biometric Passwords Are Giving Lawyers Heartburn, Legaltech News, September 23, 2019
Prepare for Driverless Vehicles, Daily Gazette, September 25, 2019
Do self-driving vehicles have a future in New York? City and State NY, November 6, 2019
August 20, 2019 Panel Discussion at University at Buffalo – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Chunming Qiao, SUNY Distinguished Professor and Chair, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University at Buffalo
- Ben Husch, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Committee Director, National Conference of State Legislatures
- Peter Kurdock, General Counsel, Advocates for Highway & Auto Safety
September 17, 2019 Panel Discussion at Greenberg Traurig – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Brad Stertz, Co-Chair, Partners for Automated Vehicle Education
- Carlos Cardillo, PhD, Director, Nevada Center for Applied Research, University of Nevada
September 18, 2019 Panel Discussion at Greenberg Traurig – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Amitai Bin-Nun, Vice President of Autonomous Vehicles, Securing America’s Future Energy (SAFE)
- Ryan Chin, CEO and Co-founder, Optimus Ride
October 15, 2019 Panel Discussion at Greenberg Traurig – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Carrie Sauer- Director, University of Pennsylvania Center for Safe Mobility
- Suzanne Murtha – National Lead for Connected and Automated Technology, AECOM
- Bert Kaufman – Head of Corporate & Regulatory Affairs, Zoox
November 6, 2019 Panel Discussion at Albany Law School – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Tom Karol, General Counsel – Federal, National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC)
- Brad Nail, Partner, Head of Multistate Practice, Converge Government Affairs
- Libby Snyder, Legislative Counsel, Uniform Law Commission
January 21, 2020 Panel Discussion at Gibson Dunn – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Jay Stanley – Senior Policy Analyst, ACLU’s Speech, Privacy and Technology Project
- Ron Plesco – Principal, KPMG’s Cyber Response Services
- Dorothy Glancy – Professor of Law, Santa Clara University School of Law
- Joseph DeMarco, Esq.- Partner, DeVore & DeMarco LLP
"*" indicates required fields