The Task Force on Autonomous Vehicles and the Law is charged with investigating how the law and legal profession adapt to the rise of autonomous vehicles. Autonomous vehicles raise novel and potentially far-reaching challenges to the law in a variety of areas: liability and insurance, privacy and data protection, infrastructure and transportation, licensing and regulation, among many others. The Task Force will undertake studies of the most pressing issues raised by autonomous vehicles and will develop thoughtful, practical recommendations for the legal institutions of the state: legislative, executive, judicial, and professional.
Task Force in the News
Head of New York State Bar Association Lays Out Agenda, Wall Street Journal, June 2, 2019
N.Y. Bar Association to Study Legal Impact of Driverless Cars, Bloomberg Law, June 3, 2019
Greenberg Says NY State Bar Will Activate Task Forces to Reach Out to Lawmakers, New York Law Journal, August 19, 2019
AV testing in Brooklyn, Automotive News, September 21, 2019
Prepare for Driverless Vehicles, Daily Gazette, September 25, 2019
August 20, 2019 Panel Discussion at University at Buffalo – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Chunming Qiao, SUNY Distinguished Professor and Chair, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University at Buffalo
- Ben Husch, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Committee Director, National Conference of State Legislatures
- Peter Kurdock, General Counsel, Advocates for Highway & Auto Safety
September 17, 2019 Panel Discussion at Greenberg Traurig – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Brad Stertz, Co-Chair, Partners for Automated Vehicle Education
- Carlos Cardillo, PhD, Director, Nevada Center for Applied Research, University of Nevada
September 18, 2019 Panel Discussion at Greenberg Traurig – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Amitai Bin-Nun, Vice President of Autonomous Vehicles, Securing America’s Future Energy (SAFE)
- Ryan Chin, CEO and Co-founder, Optimus Ride
October 15, 2019 Panel Discussion at Greenberg Traurig – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Carrie Sauer- Director, University of Pennsylvania Center for Safe Mobility
- Suzanne Murtha – National Lead for Connected and Automated Technology, AECOM
- Bert Kaufman – Head of Corporate & Regulatory Affairs, Zoox
November 6, 2019 Panel Discussion at Albany Law School – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Tom Karol, General Counsel – Federal, National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC)
- Brad Nail, Partner, Head of Multistate Practice, Converge Government Affairs
- Libby Snyder, Legislative Counsel, Uniform Law Commission
January 21, 2020 Panel Discussion at Gibson Dunn – click here to watch a full replay of this meeting.
- Jay Stanley – Senior Policy Analyst, ACLU’s Speech, Privacy and Technology Project
- Ron Plesco – Principal, KPMG’s Cyber Response Services
- Dorothy Glancy – Professor of Law, Santa Clara University School of Law
- Joseph DeMarco, Esq.- Partner, DeVore & DeMarco LLP