Additionally, the Department is responsible for the editing and distribution of legislation reports, bill tracking, and the promotion of the Association’s affirmative legislative program.
To provide our members with a comprehensive set of tools with which to stay informed about policy issues of importance to the practice of law, the Department of Governmental Relations has compiled the following resources:
- Track the status of legislation of interest to the Bar Association
- Search Legislation
- Review regulations published in the New York State Register and the Federal Register
- Stay on top of State Legislative Hearing Notices
- View live proceedings of the State Legislature and Congress
NYSBA’S Legislative Program:
NYSBA offers several ways for its members to become active in the legislative process, whether by recommending a policy issue to be adopted as a NYSBA state or federal legislative priority or submitting memoranda commenting on the impact of legislation on the practice of law.
Additionally, the Association presents a series of affirmative legislative proposals to the State Legislature annually. Affirmative legislation is generally developed at the Section or Committee level and must receive the approval of the Association’s Executive Committee or the House of Delegates prior to introduction in the Legislature. The development of New York State Bar Association policy on major issues follows a similar pattern, although Sections and Committees may independently express their support for, or opposition to, legislation pending in the New York State Legislature and Congress.
The Department of Governmental Relations is located at the New York State Bar Center, One Elk Street, Albany, New York 12207. Director of Governmental Relations, Ron Kennedy, may be reached at (518) 487-5653 or [email protected].
- Welcome to the NYSBA Leadership Photo Gallery Click the links/thumbnails below to view NYSBA Leaders in action with state and federal policymakers and other community leaders.
- 2014 ABA Day
- 2014 President’s Lobby Day
- 2015 President’s Lobby Day – DeFrancisco
- 2015 President’s Lobby Day – Lentol
- President’s Lobby Day – September 10, 2015
- 2017 ABA Day
2019 Legislative Priorities
- 2019 and 2020 Legislative Memoranda
- 2017 and 2018 Legislative Memoranda
- 2015 and 2016 Legislative Memoranda
- 2013 and 2014 Legislative Memoranda