About Our Section
The Local and State Government Law Section serves, educates and provides a common meeting ground and impartial forum for those attorneys, whether in the public or private sector, engaged in dealing in any capacity with issues in local or state government law. We have committees that meet regularly and focus on particular areas and/or groups of individuals involved in the practice of local and state government law. These committees include administrative law judge; employment relations; ethics and professionalism; land use, green development and environment; legislation; liability and insurance; membership and diversity; municipal counsel; attorneys in public service; state and federal constitutional law; and taxation, finance and economic development. Regular updates on the law are provided through committee meetings and Section CLE programs. We also review, comment and recommend changes to state law and formulate reports and recommendations as may be useful to the profession and advisable in the public interest.
Message from the Section Chair
Please join our Open House to learn more about our Section and network with our Section officers, committee chairs and members. We will give you an update on the many exciting things our Section is working on, an overview of our Committees and their work, CLE opportunities, and opportunities to connect with our Section members.
How Our Members Benefit
- Educational programs that examine today’s vital legal developments.
- Professional growth opportunities through joining a Committee, attending Section events and meetings, and through virtual CLE. Committees give you the opportunity to research issues, interact with colleagues practicing in the same area, influence the laws that can affect your practice and receive regular updates about new developments.
- A very active online community where you can receive updates on the latest developments in the field, where you can post questions and obtain immediate advice and tips in your area(s) of practice from colleagues in the field, or network with other professionals to share knowledge and forge member connections.
- Networking events to connect with attorneys involved in the practice of local and state government law throughout the State.
- The Section’s newsletter, The Municipal Lawyer, features peer-written, substantive articles relating to the practice of municipal law on various topics including, among others, land use, zoning, labor and employment, ethics and environmental issues.
The Municipal Lawyer features peer-written, substantive articles relating to the practice of municipal law on various topics including land use, zoning, ethics, and environmental issues. Edited by Prof. Mike Lewyn, the Municipal Lawyer is a publication of the Local and State Government Law Section of the New York State Bar Association and is distributed to Section members free of charge.