Organ Donation And Impact On End-of-Life Directives (2013)
Organ donation is a valuable public health service that clearly falls within the purview of estate planners, as it is one of the end-of-life directives on which estate planning attorneys typically focus clients. Although important, it is the forgotten child of estate planners. If a client desires to donate organs, documents must be put in place to facilitate the donation and provide a mandate for the client's wishes to be fulfilled.
This unique program will focus on how to carry out the wishes of a client regarding organ and tissue donation under New York law and how to advise the hospital or other medical or research institution of an individual-s wishes. The distinguished panel will, among other issues, address the process involved with organ donation from a medical and legal perspective and the impact of other end of life care instructions, such as orders not to incubate (DNI) and orders not to resuscitate (DNR).
Program Topics to be Addressed through Case Study and Dialog
* Estate planner-s role in organ donation
* Engaging clients around organ donation
* Carrying out the wishes of a client regarding organ and tissue donation
*How to advise the hospital or other medical or research institution of an individual-s wishes
* The process involved with organ donation from a medical and legal perspective and the impact of other end of life care instructions
* Advising the client to complete a Life Organ and Tissue Donor Registration Enrollment Form
* Impact of family objections
* The attorney-counselor-s ethical obligations in advising clients on aspects of organ donations
Chair, Moderator and Panel Member
Pamela Ehrenkranz, Esq.
Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
New York City
Helen Irving, MBA
President and Chief Executive Officer
New York Organ Donor Network, Inc.
New York City
Tia Powell, MD
Montefiore-Einstein Center for Bioethics
Christina W. Strong, Esq.
Law Office of Christina Woodward Strong
Belle Mead, NJ
Total MCLE Credits 1.0
Ethics MCLE Credits 0.5
This archived webcast is a video online program that you will view and listen to on your computer screen.
Total Credits: 1.00 | Ethics: 0.50, Skills: 0.50
- June 11, 2013
- Online On-Demand