10 Reasons Why Law Students Should Join the Young Lawyers Section
In March 2022, the Young Lawyers Section participated in a law student roundtable discussion that provided current law students with a better understanding on the experiences, rewards, and challenges practicing attorneys have faced in the industry while offering insight on the various career opportunities available.
From this discussion the panelists, Anne L. LaBarbera, Esq., (Anne LaBarbera Professional Corporation), Jamie A. Rosen, Esq., (Abrams Fensterman LLP), and Lauren E. Sharkey, Esq. (Cioffi Slezak Wildgrube PC) compiled 10 reasons why law students should join the Young Lawyers Section:
- Leadership opportunities within NYSBA within your first years of practice.
- Access internship and/or job opportunities during law school and/or after passing the bar exam.
- Mentorship opportunities with attorneys who have recently bridged the gap between law school and the profession.
- Wide-ranging networking opportunities throughout a large and diverse State within the Section.
- Opportunities to network at a high level within substantive NYSBA Sections as a liaison from the Young Lawyers Section – get a seat at the table and let your voice be heard!
- Opportunities to participate on important task forces that shape the future of the profession.
- Speaking and organizing opportunities for Young Lawyers Section events.
- Access to Continuing Legal Education for Young Lawyers.
- Be an editor or writer for the YLS Journal, Perspectives.
- Attend and/or organize social events with colleagues and friends within your district or within the Section at large.
For more information and resources for law students, please visit nysba.org/lawstudent