The Trial Lawyers Section of the New York State Bar Association is pleased to welcome Section members and visitors. Among the resources available at this site is a comprehensive listing of links relevant to the Section, information concerning the National Trial Competition Region 2 for law students that is sponsored by the Trial Lawyers Section, information concerning scholarships made available by the TLS to new attorneys who demonstrate a commitment to diversity, and upcoming networking and CLE events. Members of the Section are invited to share ideas and seek opinions in the Trial Lawyers Section online community.
We encourage you to get more involved with the section. There is an opportunity to assist in the writing of articles, in the planning and participation of networking and programming events, and assisting the Executive Committee in accomplishing the Trial Lawyers Section mission to bring together for furtherance of their mutual interests such members of the New York State Bar Association as are interested in the problems of the trial lawyer and other branches of the law relating to trial practice and procedure. To get involved contact any member of the Executive Committee or staff liaison Gina Bartosiewicz.
The Executive Committee of the Trial Lawyers is comprised of 4 Officers, Section Delegates to the NYSBA House of Delegates, former section chairs, and two representatives from each Judicial District in the State.
The Trial Lawyers Section engages in many activities, including a CLE program put together with the Torts, Insurance and Compensation Law section during the NYSBA Annual Meeting. The Section also has an annual summer meeting with additional CLE provided and an opportunity to enjoy a fun location and networking opportunities.
To maintain our activities in the years ahead, we need you to become more involved in the Trial Lawyers Section, to go beyond attending a few of our conferences.
The Trial Lawyers Section hosts events to provide new attorneys and diverse attorneys an opportunity to hear from a panel of judges and experienced attorneys regarding bar association membership and provide support to all trial attorneys and law students through involvement in the New York State Bar Association and the promotion of high professional standards and courtesy. The section won the Section Diversity Champion Awards in the 2012 and the 2013 NYSBA Diversity Challenges for these efforts. For more information or to get involved, consider joining our Section’s Diversity Committee.
Contact the Trial Lawyers Section Liaison
To learn more about this Section, please contact Gina Bartosiewicz
Betty Lugo is the new chair of the Trial Lawyers Section.
Lugo is a founding member of Pacheco & Lugo, the first Hispanic women owned law firm in New York established at One World Trade Center in 1992. In 2014, Pacheco & Lugo, PLLC received one of the Top 2014 New York Verdicts and was ranked among Top Worker/Workplace Negligence Cases in New York State Ms. Lugo leads the firm’s litigation practice in the areas of general and commercial liability, construction, labor law, and real estate. She has conducted trials, hearings, arbitrations and appeals in complex matters in both State and Federal Courts. She has counseled and represented clients on matters involving real estate and corporate issues.
Lugo received her Juris Doctor degree in 1984 from Albany Law School of Union University and her Bachelor of Arts degree cum laude in 1981 from Brooklyn College of the City University of New York. She is admitted to practice in New York, as well as before the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York. She began her legal career as the first Hispanic woman to work as an Assistant District Attorney in the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office from 1984 to 1987.
Within the State Bar, Lugo is a member of the NYSBA House of Delegates and Committees on the New York State Constitution; on Federal Priorities, . She served as co-chair of the NYSBA Committee on Diversity and Inclusion (2010-2013) and the Task Force on the Future of the Legal Profession. She served as president of the Puerto Rican Bar Association in New York (PRBA) during its 59th year from 2015-2017. She currently serves as chair of the PRBA Judiciary Committee. She served as a member of the State of New York Grievance Committee for the Second Judicial District. She served as a member of the American Bar Association Unaccompanied Minors Working Group Committee. She has served on the Judicial Screening committees for the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Kings County Democratic Judicial Screening Committee and New York Democratic Screening Committee. She is a fellow of the New York Bar Foundation. She is a member of the American Bar Association, Brooklyn Bar Association, Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association, Catholic Lawyers Guild, Nathan R. Sobel Kings County Inns of Court, Hispanic National Bar Association, Puerto Rican Bar Association and Queens County Bar Association.
Trial Lawyers Section Digest
The Trial Lawyers Section Digest features peer-written substantive articles and case summaries relating to the practice of trial law. Edited by Steven Prystowksy, Esq. and Andrew S. Kowlowitz, Esq., the Trial Lawyers Section Digest is published by the Trial Lawyers Section and distributed to Section Members free of charge.
The Digest is published as a benefit for members of the Trial Lawyers Section and is copyrighted by the New York State Bar Association. The copying, reselling, duplication, transferring, reproducing, reusing, retaining or reprinting of this publication is strictly prohibited without permission. © New York State Bar Association.
All rights reserved. ISSN 1530-3985 (print) ISSN 1933-8457 (online)
Trial Lawyers Section Committee
- Appellate Practice Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Arbitration And ADR Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Bankruptcy Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- CLE Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Commercial Collections Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Construction Law Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Criminal Law Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Diversity Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Employment Law Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Ethics And Professionalism Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Executive Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Family Law Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Federal Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Immigration Law Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- International Law (Trial Lawyers)
- Judicial Administration Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Labor Law Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Landlord Tenant Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Law Student Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Legal Affairs Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Legislation Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Medical Malpractice Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Membership Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Motor Vehicle Law Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- No Fault Law Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Nursing Home Litigation Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Pro-Bono/Community Relations Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Real Property Law Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Trial Advocacy Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Trial Evidence Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Website Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Workers Compensation Committee (Trial Lawyers)
- Young Lawyers Committee (Trial Lawyers)
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Vanguard Award
This award is presented to a Trial Attorney who has made extraordinary efforts in addressing and raising awareness about issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
National Trial Competition
For the past 40 years, the Trial Lawyers Section of the New York State Bar Association has had the privilege of hosting the New York Regional Round of the National Trial Competition, the country’s oldest and most prestigious mock trial competition for law students. The mission of the NTC is to “encourage and strengthen students’ advocacy skills through quality competition and valuable interaction with members of the bench and bar. The program is designed to expose law students to the nature of trial practice and to serve as a supplement to their education.”
TRIAL LAWYERS LEGAL LINKS OF INTEREST
New York Court of Appeals Links
- Cornell’s Legal Information Institute’s NY Court of Appeals page
- NY Court of Appeals procedural outline
- Certification by Second Circuit handbook
- New York State Court of Appeals
Criminal Law Resources
- Criminal Jury Instructions
- Search Warrant Manual
- List of Registerable Sex Offenses
- Summary of NY Court of Appeals pending criminal cases
Legal Research Resources
- Article 78 Primer
- New York Legal Research Guide
- New York Legislative History Tutorial
- Searchable Database of2d Department Appellate Briefs
- Caselaw Access Project API – Official US court cases published in books from 1658 to 2018 from the Harvard Law Library; free for public use