January 23, 2020: Media Advisory for Jan. 27-31, New York City
JANUARY 23, 2020: MEDIA ADVISORY FOR JAN. 27-31, NEW YORK CITY
WHITE NATIONALISM AND DOMESTIC TERRORISM, U.S. SUPREME COURT ASSOCIATE JUSTICE ELENA KAGAN, STATE OFFICIALS, MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION, BAIL REFORM, IMPLICIT BIAS AND DIVERSITY HIGHLIGHT STATE BAR ASSOCIATION’S ANNUAL MEETING JAN. 27-31
The New York State Bar Association’s (NYSBA) 143rd Annual Meeting in New York City Jan. 27-31 will include innovative programs discussing white nationalism and domestic terrorism, cannabis law and marijuana legalization, bail and discovery reform, and implicit bias and diversity in the bar.
Click here for the complete agenda of the NYSBA 2020 Annual Meeting.
Speakers during the weeklong program, the largest legal gathering of its kind, include:
- New York State Chief Judge Janet DiFiore – Thursday, Jan. 30 and Friday, Jan. 31
- State Attorney General Letitia James – Wednesday, Jan. 29 and Thursday, Jan. 30
- Hon. Michael A. Corriero, retired Court of Claims judge in New York County and star of the syndicated television series “Hot Bench” – Wednesday, Jan. 29
- Axel Bernabe, assistant counsel for health to Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo – Tuesday, Jan. 28
- Captain Brenda Berkman, retired FDNY firefighter and attorney – Tuesday, Jan. 28
- Tax Professor Edward Kleinbard, Robert C. Packard Trustee Chair in Law, University of Southern California Gould School of Law – Tuesday, Jan. 28
More than 4,000 attorneys are expected to attend the conference at the New York Hilton Midtown in Manhattan this year to participate in informational panel discussions, networking events, awards presentations, as well as credited continuing legal education programs for attorneys.
Presidential Summit Jan. 29 to examine white nationalism and domestic terrorism in America
The extraordinary Presidential Summit panel event featuring legal, national security and other experts will take place Wednesday, Jan. 29 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. The event will be moderated by Craig M. Boise, dean and professor of law at the Syracuse University College of Law. (Boise will also be the keynote speaker at NYSBA’s Judicial Section luncheon on Friday, Jan. 31.)
The panelists are:
- David D. Cole, national legal director, American Civil Liberties Union
- Frank Figliuzzi, Jr., former FBI assistant director for counterintelligence, NBC News/MSNBC national security analyst
- Hon. Letitia James, New York State Attorney General
- Hon. Nan Whaley, mayor of Dayton, Ohio
- Leonard Zeskind, founder & president, Institute for Research and Education of Human Rights, author of “Blood and Politics: The History of the White Nationalist Movement from the Margins to the Mainstream.”
The weeklong Annual Meeting will also include a gala dinner at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City on Thursday, Jan. 30 featuring a conversation between United State Supreme Court Associate Justice Elena Kagan and Professor of Law John Q. Barrett of St. John’s University School of Law.
Important information for news media
Media are invited to most Annual Meeting programs and events, but daily check-in is required at the registration area on the second floor of the New York Hilton Midtown, located at 1335 Avenue of the Americas, between 53rd and 54th Streets, New York, NY 10019.
Also, photos from Annual Meeting programs and events will be available upon request.
Media must preregister to cover the gala dinner on Jan. 30, and space is limited. For more information, please contact Barb Mahan, [email protected] or 518-487-5653.
Follow Annual Meeting proceedings on Twitter at @NYSBA (#NYSBA20), Facebook (New York State Bar Association) and Instagram (@nystatebar).
About the New York State Bar Association
The New York State Bar Association is the largest voluntary state bar association in the nation. Since 1876, NYSBA has helped shape the development of law, educated and informed the legal profession and the public, and championed the rights of New Yorkers through advocacy and guidance in our communities.
CONTACT: Dan Weiller