March 12, 2019: President Elect Henry Greenberg To Deliver Charles Evans Hughes Memorial Lecture on April 18
Henry M. Greenberg, president-elect of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) and shareholder at Greenberg Traurig LLP, will deliver the 55th Charles Evans Hughes Memorial Lecture on April 18 in New York City.
The lecture, entitled “Charles Evans Hughes & The Role of New York’s Organized Bar at a Time of Crisis for the Rule of Law,” is hosted by the New York County Lawyers Association (NYCLA) with introductory remarks by former Associate Judge of the Court of Appeals Hon. Carmen Beauchamp Ciparick.
Established in 1948 by NYCLA, the lecture series honors Hon. Charles Evans Hughes, former NYSBA President in 1917 and 1918 and NYCLA President from 1919 to 1921. Hughes served as New York’s 36th Governor (1907-1910), U.S. Secretary of State (1921-1925) and Supreme Court Chief Justice (1930-1941).
Greenberg is the first NYSBA president to deliver the Charles Evans Hughes Memorial Lecture since President Whitney North Seymour in 1970 and joins an exclusive group of legal scholars who have given past lectures including, former U.S. Attorneys General, federal and state Court of Appeals Judges, and U.S. Attorneys.
Past lecturers have included:
- Robert A. Katzmann, Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Hon. Judith S. Kaye, former Chief Judge of the State of New York and Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals
- Hon. Jonathan Lippman, former Chief Judge of the State of New York and Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals
- Hon. Lawrence H. Cooke, former Chief Judge of the State of New York and Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals
- Loretta E. Lynch, the 83rd Attorney General of the United States
- Preet Bharara, former U.S. Attorney, Southern District of New York
- Hon. Henry J. Friendly, former Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
The 55th Charles Evans Hughes Memorial Lecture will be delivered Thursday, April 18 at 6 p.m., at the NYCLA Home of Law, 14 Vesey Street, Manhattan. There is no charge to attend the event, but advance registration is required. For registration information, visit www.nycla.org.
About the New York State Bar Association
The New York State Bar Association is the second largest voluntary state bar association in the nation. Since 1876, the Association has helped shape the development of law, educated and informed the legal profession and the public, and championed the rights of New Yorkers through advocacy and guidance in our communities.
Contact: Brendan Kennedy