Embracing Change: Dispute Resolution In Unprecedented Times – Dispute Resolution Section Fall 2020 Meeting (Webinar)
Join us for an exciting program with topics ranging from Ethics & COVID-19, and Cybersecurity, to the Singapore Convention, and Neuroscience in ADR. Thursday, October 22 will include a virtual reception where you can meet with like-minded peers and continue discussions from the day.
Dispute Resolution Section Member Pricing: $125
Not yet a member of the Dispute Resolution Section? Join the Section and save on this program and many others!
- October 22, 2020
- October 23, 2020
- 9:00 AM
- 1:15 PM
- Virtual Participation
Thursday, October 22, 2020, (Credit totals for the day: 1.0 credits in Ethics, 2.5 in Skills)
9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. - Welcome and Introductions
9:15 a.m. - 10:05 a.m. - Ethical Issues During the Post-COVID Era
Almost overnight, the recent/current global health crisis changed the practice of law. As the practice has changed, certain ethical issues have emerged and other ethical considerations have become more important. This panel will review many of these new and emerging ethical issues and the attendees will leave with a better understanding of their ethical and professional responsibilities during this new age of practice.
Nicole Black, Esq., MyCase
Ross J. Kartez, Esq., Ruskin Moscou Faltischek, P.C.
Allison C. Shields Johs, Esq., President, Legal Ease Consulting, Inc.
10:05 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. - Break
10:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. - Harnessing Uncertainty: Activating the Natural Human Capacity for Resolving Disputes
Cutting-edge methodologies for negotiation, including Conscious Contracts and the Collaboration Code, are tapping into the neuroscience and psychology of change to empower peacebuilding across the globe. Learn practical skills for why and how to tap into your own and others’ natural capacity for resolving disputes and building stronger relationships
Moderator: Jacqueline Horani, Esq., Horani Law, PLLC
Linda G. Alverez, Esq., Founder, Discovering Agreement
Rob Evans, Managing Partner, Imaginal Labs LLC
Dr. Cobus Oosthuizen, PhD., LifeXchange Solutions
Rhiannon Thomas, BA LLB, Milkwood Law
11:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. - Break
11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m. - ADR in the Post-COVID Era - A Look at How Disputes are Being Resolved
Like everything else in the world, ADR practice changed dramatically this past winter. This panel will offer the experiences and perspectives of a collection of arbitrators, mediators, counsel, and institutional representatives who will discuss strategies and best practices for managing disputes during this era of (mostly) remote hearings.
Moderator: Jeffrey T. Zaino, Esq., Vice President, American Arbitration Association, International Centre for Dispute Resolution
William H. Crosby, Jr., Esq., Vice President, Interpublic Group
Susan E. Guthrie, Esq., Founder & Principal, Learn to Mediate Online
Viren Mascarenhas, Esq., King & Spaulding LLP
David C. Singer, Esq., SingerADR Neutral Services
5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. - Virtual Networking Reception
Friday, October 23, 2020, (Credit totals for the day: 1.5 in Skills, 3.0 in Areas of Professional Practice)
9:00 a.m. - 9:10 a.m. - Welcome and Introductions
9:10 a.m. - 10:25 a.m. - The Singapore Convention: The Future of International Mediation and Arbitration
The ratification of the Singapore Convention this year is changing the world of international mediation and international arbitration. The move to virtual proceedings due to COVID adds another layer of complexity to the evolutionary process. This panel will explore current developments regarding the convention and its impact, current and expected, on international arbitration as well as potential impacts of in-process technologies.
Moderator: Carolyn E. Hansen, Esq., Attorney at Law & Mediator
Sean F. La’Brooy, Esq., Director, Duane Morris & Selvam LLP
Rekha Rangachari, Esq., Executive Director, New York International Arbitration Center (NYIAC)
Rahim Shamji, Esq., ADR ODR International
Nancy M. Thevenin, Esq., F.C.I. Arb., Thevenin Arbitration & ADR
10:25 A.M. - 10:35 a.m. - Break
10:35 a.m. - 11:50 a.m. - Cybersecurity in the Post-COVID Era ... More Important than Ever
The focus on cybersecurity issues in ADR, which had been growing rapidly prior to the pandemic, has taken on a new urgency in this era of remote hearings. This panel, with participants from the US and Europe, will discuss issues including hacking and data breaches, the use of the Cybersecurity Protocol to help identify key concerns, the role of institutions in safeguarding cybersecurity, and the challenges that have arisen in this area during the pandemic.
Moderator: Mark C. Morril, Esq., MorrilADR
Diana Didia, SVP/Chief Information and Innovation Officer, American Arbitration Association
International Centre for Dispute Resolution
Martin Doe, Esq., Senior Legal Counsel, Permanent Court of Arbitration
Mark McNeill, Esq., Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Kathleen Paisley, Esq., Ambos NBGO Lawfirm
11:50 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - Break
12:00 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. - A New Era of Disputes — A Look at Specific Areas Impacted by the Global Health Crisis
It is no secret that certain practice areas were impacted more than others as a result of the global health crisis. This panel consists of neutrals and practitioners who have a focus within some of these significantly impacted areas. The panelists will address many of the new and emerging issues, and how these new and emerging issues are being resolved. The specific practice areas selected for this panel are: (1) insurance; (2) real estate; (3) labor and employment; (4) healthcare; and (5) trust and estates.
Moderator: Laura A. Kaster, Esq.
Rachel E. Shaw, Esq., Pryor Cashman LLP
Dani Schwartz, Esq., Wachtel Missry LLP
Alfred G. Feliu, Esq., Feliu Neutral Services
Alyson Mathews, Esq., Lamb & Barnosky, LLP
Joan D. Hogarth, Esq., The Law Office of Joan D. Hogarth
Andrew T. Garbarino, Esq., Ruskin Moscou Faltischek, P.C.
Robert D. Steele, Esq., Schwartz Sladkus Reich Greenberg Atlas, LLP
Jennifer F. Hillman, Esq., Ruskin Moscou Faltischek, P.C.
Mark J. Bunim, Esq., Case Closure, LLC.
Diana Shafter Gliedman, Esq., Anderson Kill, P.C.
- Section Chair: Laura A. Kaster, Esq., Laura A. Kaster LLC
- Planning Co-Chair: William H. Crosby, Esq., Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc. (IPG)
- Planning Co-Chair: Carolyn E. Hansen, Esq., Attorney & Mediation Services
- Planning Co-Chair: Ross J. Kartez, Esq., Ruskin Moscou Faltischek, P.C.
- Linda Alverez, Esq., Discovering Agreement
- Nicole L. Black, Esq., MyCase
- Mark J. Bunim, Esq., Case Closure LLC
- Diana Didia, Esq., American Arbitration Association
- Martin A. E. Doe, Esq., Permanent Court of Arbitration
- Rob Evans, Imaginal Labs LLC
- Alfred G. Feliu, Esq., Feliu Neutral Services
- Andrew T. Garbarino, Esq., Ruskin Moscou Faltischek, P.C.
- Diana S. Gliedman, Esq., Anderson Kill, P.C.
- Susan E. Guthrie, Esq., Learn to Mediate Online
- Jennifer F. Hillman, Esq., Ruskin Moscou Faltischek, P.C.
- Joan D. Hogarth, Esq., The Law Office of Joan D. Hogarth
- Jacqueline E. Horani, Esq., Horani Law, PLLC
- Sean F. La’Brooy, Esq., Director, Duane Moris & Selvam LLP
- Viren Mascarenhas, Esq., King & Spaulding LLP
- Alyson Mathews, Esq., Lamb & Barnosky, LLP
- Mark McNeill, Esq., Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Mark C. Morril, Esq., MorrilADR
- Cobus Oosthuizen, PhD., Life Xchange Solutions
- Kathleen D. Paisley, Esq., Ambos NBGO Lawfirm
- Rekha Rangachari, Esq., New York International Arbitration Center
- Dani L. Schwartz, Esq., Wachtel Missry LLP
- Rahim Shamji, Esq., ADR ODR International
- Rachel E. Shaw, Esq., Pryor Cashman LLP
- Allison C. Shields Johs, Esq., Legal Ease Consulting, Inc.
- David C. Singer, Esq., SingerADR Neutral Services
- Robert D. Steele, Esq., Schwartz Sladkus Reich Greenberg Atlas, LLP
- Nancy M. Thevenin, Esq., F.C.I. Arb., Thevenin Arbitration & ADR
- Rhiannon Thomas, BA LLB, Milkwood Law
- Jeffrey T. Zaino, Esq., American Arbitration Association
- Committee On Continuing Legal Education
- Dispute Resolution Section