Starting A Solo Practice In New York 2021 Part 2: Operations, Technology And Risk Management
Are you considering opening your own firm? Are you a recent law school graduate just starting out? Are you considering leaving your place of employment and starting your own practice? Starting up a solo or small firm has its own unique financial, technical and practical concerns, but beginning a practice also has its own set of rewards, fulfillment, and accomplishments. To maximize your chances of success, you must have a plan.
Part two of this two part series is an overview of operations, technology and risk management when starting your solo practice, including:
Managing Your (Cyber) Practice
• Maximizing Efficiency: Hardware/Software/Cloud
• Cybersecurity: Preventing and Mitigating Risk
• Operational Issues: Data Management
• Emergency Preparedness
Get the Clients and Cases You Want: How to Build a Sophisticated Litigation Practice Outside the Big Firm
• Finding Clients
• Exploiting Your Small Size to Get the Clients and Cases You Want
• Practice and Time Management: Do It Right or Die
• Coordinating With Co-Counsel to Build Your Practice
• Special Pitfalls of Litigation to Avoid
Risk Management, Client Intake, Letters of Engagement, Retainers,and IOLA: Best Practices for Lawyers
Practical tips to help improve your practice and lessen the possibility of a Malpractice claim or grievance.
Understanding Your Malpractice Insurance Policy: Making Sure You Have the Right Amount and the Right Coverage
• Applying Your Coverage: How to Fill Out the Application Form
• Defining Your “Practice Areas” the Right Way
• Do You Need “Prior Acts” Coverage?
• How Much Coverage Do You Need?
• What Do You Do When Someone Threatens to Sue You?
Legal, Practical and Ethical Challenges of Attorney Outsourcing and the Virtual Law Firm in the Age of COVID-19
• What is “Attorney Outsourcing”?
• When is Outsourcing Legal Work and Per Diem Coverage Appropriate?
• The Do’s and Don’ts: Attorney Outsourcing and Per Diem Case Coverage
• Outsourcing Due Diligence for Assigning Attorneys and Coverage Counsel
• Ethical Considerations When Assigning and Covering Appearances Other Matters
• Outsourcing in the Digital & COVID Era
• Navigating Outsourcing
Thank you to our Sponsor!
- May 17, 2021
- 9:00 AM
- 2:00 PM
- Virtual Participation
- Marc M. Natale, Balestriere Fariello
- Clifford R. Ennico, Esq., Law Offices of Clifford R. Ennico
- Jayson Taylor, Esq., Bridge Builder 146 LLC
- Kyle Edmonds, Esq., Bridge Builder 146 LLC
- Darren Kirton, Esq., Bridge Builder 146 LLC
- Marian C. Rice, Esq., L'Abbate Balkan Colavita & Contini, LLP
- Lana James-Moore, USI Affinity
- John Balestriere, Esq., Balestriere Fariello
- Committee On Law Practice Management