Mediation of Surrogate’s Court Cases
This program is specifically designed for Trusts and Estates practitioners and planners, as well as Surrogate’s Court Judges and their staff. Those who practice in Surrogate's Court in New York State or expect their clients' issues will end up there will find this presentation particularly helpful. Surrogate's litigation can be drawn out, emotional, and highly charged despite the best representation.
Listen about other options that are available for you and your clients to resolve your pending cases and those that may arise. Learn about the new Presumptive Mediation program New York State courts are embracing and what low-cost options may be only a phone call or click away to help your clients' move on from years of turmoil. You may have heard of mediation but not thoughht it was right for you or your clients. Two Surrogate’s Court Judges, experienced mediators, and practitioners will explain why it is time to resolve your Surrogate’s Court cases using mediation.
Topics to be included:
- What is Mediation?
- Why is Mediation a good fit for Surrogate’s cases?
- Has mediation been successful: For Surrogates? Litigators? Clients?
- Why is Mediation good for litigators, for the business of law, how can the use of mediation result in more business and revenue?
- How can Mediation be a great tool for trust and estate planners?
- How can mediation be a great pre-litigation tool?
- Process: How does it work? Is it available? Where? How much?
- Two possible mediation tracks – Community Dispute Resolution Centers (free) v. NYS roster (free for specified time then fee)
- What is the NYS Presumptive ADR initiative?
- What is happening with Mediation in Surrogate’s Court today?
- Difference between mediation and settlement conference
- Difference between mediation and arbitration?
- What are opportunities for mediators to receive compensation?
- How can mediation help an attorney’s business?
Moderator: Alfreida B. Kenny, Law Office of Alfreida B. Kenny
Cynthia L. Boyce, Cynthia L. Boyce & Associates
Hon. Rita Mella, Surrogate, New York County
Lauren A. Jones, ADR Coordinator for New York City's Surrogates Courts at New York State Unified Court System
Michael H. Friedman, Kurzman Eisenberg Corbin & Lever, LLP
JoAn Pangilinan-Taylor, Community Mediation Services
Hon. Brandon R. Sall, Surrogate, Westchester County
- April 15, 2021
- Online On-Demand