Outside Counsel Guidelines: Their Use And Tension With The Ethical Rules
Topics to be Included:
- Do you review outside counsel guidelines to identify deviations from your firm’s engagement policies?
- Are there potential risk for firms accepting guidelines without fully understanding their terms and then failing to comply with those guidelines?
- Do outside counsel guidelines have the same binding effect as traditional attorney-client engagement letters?
- Who is the “client” as defined in the outside counsel guideline?
- Are respective team members working on a particular matter educated about the specifics of the client guidelines?
- Does the guideline require that you get consent to represent a competitor?
- When will advance waivers be effective?
- Can one client audit lead to breach of another client’s confidentiality?
- What does the guidelines say about billing, cybersecurity, conflict of interest and diversity?
Kaylin L. Whittingham, Whittingham Law
Jean Cha, Cha Law Ethics
Erin K. Higgins, Conn Kavanaugh Rosenthal Peisch & Ford, LLP
Christopher M. Farella, Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- November 15, 2022
- Online On-Demand