Starting a Solo Practice in New York 2022: Part II
Are you considering opening your own firm? Are you a recent law school graduate just starting out? Are you considering leaving your place of employment and starting your own practice? Starting up a solo or small firm has its own unique financial, technical and practical concerns, but beginning a practice also has its own set of rewards, fulfillment, and accomplishments. To maximize your chances of success, you must have a plan.
Part two of this two part program series is an overview of operations, technology and risk management when starting your solo practice, including:
Managing Your (Cyber) Practice
• Maximizing Efficiency: Hardware/Software/Cloud
• Cybersecurity: Preventing and Mitigating Risk
• Operational Issues: Data Management
• Emergency Preparedness
Get the Clients and Cases You Want: How to Build a Sophisticated Litigation Practice Outside the Big Firm
• Finding Clients
• Exploiting Your Small Size to Get the Clients and Cases You Want
• Practice and Time Management: Do It Right or Die
• Coordinating With Co-Counsel to Build Your Practice
• Special Pitfalls of Litigation to Avoid
Risk Management, Client Intake, Letters of Engagement, Retainers, and IOLA: Best Practices for Lawyers
Practical tips to help improve your practice and lessen the possibility of a Malpractice claim or grievance.
Understanding Your Malpractice Insurance Policy: Making Sure You Have the Right Amount and the
• Applying Your Coverage: How to Fill Out the Application
• Defining Your “Practice Areas” the Right Way
• Do You Need “Prior Acts” Coverage?
• How Much Coverage Do You Nee
• What Do You Do When Someone Threatens to Sue You?
Building Your Practice While Working Remotely
• What should your office set-up look like
• Client communications
• Setting boundaries to prevent burnout
• Networking to prevent loneliness
• Ensuring confidentiality and cybersecurity
• Ethics and virtual practices
Clifford R. Ennico, Esq., Law Office of Clifford R. Ennico
Marc J. Natale, Office Administrator, Littler Mendelson P.C.
John Balestriere, Esq. | Balestriere Fariello
Marian C. Rice, Esq. | L'Abbate Balkan Colavita & Contini, LLP
Lana James-Moore | USI Affinity
BLACK FRIDAY SALE
Now through December 1, save 30% off all NYSBA Publications, downloadable forms, and our Automated Power of Attorney, when you use the code PUB9435 at checkout.
Note: Does not apply to Practical Skills Series titles.
- June 7, 2022
- Online On-Demand