Eviction Moratorium: What Lawyers Need To Know About The COVID-19 Emergency Eviction And Foreclosure Prevention Act Of 2020
Please note: Members of NYSBA's Real Property Law Section and General Practice Section qualify for a discounted rate of $25.00 for this program.
Panelists will discuss the recently enacted COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2020, the changes in the legal landscape following this new law, and how to advise tenants, homeowners, and landlords throughout the state.
Hon. Jeffrey Dinowitz (NYS Assembly 81st District) and Hon. Brian Kavanagh (NYS Senate 26th District) will provide an overview of and key provisions of the new law. Members of the Real Property Law Section and General Practice Section will join the panel and provide practical guidance and the information you need to effectively represent your clients. Ample time will be left for Q&A.
Reasons to Attend:
- Get an overview of the Act and key provisions, including the 60 day stay, and further stays until May 1, 2021.
- Understand the requirements of the standard hardship declaration form – What is it? What information is required? Who decides if someone qualifies?
- Get advice on effectively representing tenants, homeowners and landlords
- Learn about next steps and what to do if a tenant is causing a substantial safety hazard to others
- Learn about the prohibition on negative credit decisions to homeowners who receive a stay on mortgage foreclosure, tax foreclosure or tax lien sales
- Review the Senior Citizens’ Homeowner Exemption and Disabled Homeowner Exemption programs
Hon. Jeffrey Dinowitz, NYS Assembly, 81st District
Hon. Brian Kavanagh, NYS Senate, 26th District
Domenick Napoletano, Law Offices of Domenick Napoletano, Brooklyn
Massimo F. D'Angelo, Akerman LLP, New York City
Jennie Stephens-Romero, Make the Road New York, Brooklyn
Robert R. Romaker, Managing Attorney, Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York
- January 15, 2021
- 11:30 AM
- 1:00 PM
- Virtual Participation
- Speaker: Hon. Jeffrey Dinowitz, NYS Assembly 81st District
- Speaker: Hon. Brian Kavanagh, NYS Senate, 26th District
- Speaker: Dominick Napoletano, Law Offices of Domenick Napoletano
- Speaker: Massimo F. D'Angelo, Ackerman LLP
- Speaker: Jennie Stephens-Romero, Make the Road New York
- Speaker: Robert R. Romaker, Robert Romaker Household
- General Practice Section