Preparing For Mediation: Your Clients And Yourself
MEDIATION ADVOCACY – STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS, PART 1
Preparing for Mediation: Your Clients and Yourself
This program is sponsored by the Subcommittee on Mediation Advocacy for Practitioners of the Dispute Resolution Section.
A three-part webinar CLE series providing practical strategies and techniques for successful client advocacy in mediation. A faculty of experienced lawyer-mediators will share their insights and offer practice tips for effective mediation, demonstrating the lawyering skills that are most likely to obtain better client outcomes but differ from what work in trial advocacy. The program is intended for litigation attorneys who are both new to and experienced with mediation as a dispute-resolution process. The entire series will be available as a bundle once the recordings are ready.
SPECIAL FEATURE: An optional live non-CLE breakout session is scheduled following the Day 3 session for attendees to collaborate in small groups with an experienced mediator addressing specific practice area issue. Attendees of any session will be able to participate and to designate the area of law that most interests them.
Part One of a Three-Part Series:
Part One: Preparing for Mediation: Your Clients and Yourself (Thursday, April 29, 2021)
Part Two: Effective Mediation Advocacy – Key Skills for Lawyers at the Bargaining Table (Thursday, May 6, 2021)
Part Three: Closing the Deal – Overcoming Apparent Impasses in a Mediation (Thursday, May 20, 2021)
If you missed any portions of this series, they will be available as a recording.
This session will explore ways that attorneys can prepare both themselves and their clients for a successful mediation. Emphasis will be placed on shifting focus to resolution of the parties’ dispute rather than “litigation by other means.” This includes identification of critical information and legal theories both favorable and unfavorable, developing a plan for mediation that encompasses the full range of the client’s concerns and interest, and setting a strategy for initial conference calls with the mediator and for a pre-mediation statement.
- April 29, 2021
- 8:30 AM
- 9:45 AM
- Virtual Participation
- Speaker: Welcoming Remarks: Hon. Deborah A. Kaplan, Administrative Judge, Supreme Court, New York County
- Speaker: Michele Kern-Rappy, Esq., Senior Mediator and Senior Settlement Coordinator, New York Supreme Court
- Krista Gottlieb, Esq., ADR Center & Law Office of Krista Gottlieb
- Moderator: Ross J. Kartez, Esq., Associate, Ruskin Moscou Faltischek PC
- Speaker: Michael Starr, Esq., Principal, M Starr ADR, LLC
- Speaker: Jennifer Lupo, Esq., Managing Member of Lupo Law, Arbitration and Mediation PLLC
- Speaker: Leslie A. Berkoff, Esq., Partner, Moritt Hock & Hamroff LLP
- Committee On Continuing Legal Education
- Dispute Resolution Section