Trust Me: I’m a Lawyer: Handling Trust Accounts, Finances, Fee-Splitting
Claude E. Ducloux, Board-Certified in both Civil Trial Law and Civil Appellate Law, by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, (and also licensed in CA and CO) and former Chair of the Texas Center for Legal Ethics will present a 60 minute power point covering:
- Why we use trust accounts;
- The big five trust account misunderstandings;
- Fiduciary duty and duty to preserve and safeguard client funds and property;
- Qualified funds vs. non-qualified funds;
- Required Records and ability to Audit;
- Clear descriptions of what belongs (and doesn’t belong) in a trust account;
- Proper distribution methods;
- Co-mingling vs. safekeeping;
- Duty of oversight;
- Handling disputes, third-party claims and refunds;
- Practical examples of trust fund disputes;
- Survey of Disciplinary cases;
- Running your office: Financial control;
- Freelancing and sharing fees;
- Proposed Forms and Contract terms;
- Best Practices Checklist for your office.
This will be via a PowerPoint presentation, which will be made available to the participants. Presenter will answer questions, and provide follow-up to audience following the presentation.
Note: By registering for this webinar, you are authorizing the approval for NYSBA to share your preferred email address with the vendor for follow-up after program completion.
Thank You to our Sponsor!
- September 14, 2023
- 12:00 PM
- 1:00 PM
- Virtual Participation
- Committee on Continuing Legal Education
- General Practice Section