Whistleblower Protection In New York–Radical Expansion?
Organized by the Civil Prosecution Committee and the Employment Litigation Committee of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section
A patchwork of laws protect certain corporate whistleblowers in New York, including New York Labor Law and the New York and Federal False Claims Acts. Effective January 2022, New York Labor Law § 740 was amended to significantly strengthen anti-retaliation protections offered to corporate whistleblowers. Among other things, the amendments expand: who is covered; what is protected activity; what is prohibited retaliatory action; and available remedies, which now include punitive damages. Employee advocates embrace the amendments as fitting and overdue while those counseling employers are concerned that the amendments will generate massive litigation negatively affecting corporate clients.
Join us as we hear from a distinguished and diverse panel who will discuss the recently amended Labor Law § 740 as well as the anti-retaliation provisions of the New York and Federal False Claims Acts. This CLE is timely and relevant for all attorneys who provide counsel to employers, employees, or potential corporate whistleblowers.
- May 23, 2022
- 1:00 PM
- 2:00 PM
- Virtual Participation
- Moderator: Courtney Finerty-Stelzner, Esq., Getnick & Getnick LLP
- Speaker: Gregory Krakower, Esq., Adjunct Law Professor, Cardozo Law School; Former Counselor to the New York Attorney General
- Speaker: Michael Grenert, Esq., Law Office of Michael Grenert, PLLC
- Speaker: Gerald Hathaway, Esq., Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Speaker: Theresa Levine, Esq., The Law Office of Theresa M. Levine, PC
- Civil Prosecution Committee
- Commercial & Federal Litigation Section
- Committee On Continuing Legal Education