As courts and the legal profession respond to the unprecedented challenges presented by the Coronavirus, it’s imperative our members have real time access to the latest information. To meet this need, we are collecting in one place, important notices and announcements from state and federal courts, the governor’s office, legislative officials, and public health authorities.
Our coronavirus webpage is a comprehensive virtual information center, featuring all the latest articles, memos, links and directives. We will alert you to the latest developments on social media and in our eblasts to make sure you don’t miss any updates. In addition, we are planning a series of topical and informative webinars over the next several days.
In collaboration with the Office of Court Administration, we are updating and reissuing a comprehensive book on the state’s public health laws, entitled: “New York State Public Health Legal Manual: A Guide for Judges, Attorneys and Public Health Professionals.” The book examines the law governing the containment of communicable diseases – including pandemics like the one we now face.
In order to educate the public about these critical issues, State Bar leaders are serving as expert resources for media outlets, including online, radio, print and TV. Our goal is to keep our members, the legal community and the general public as well informed as we can. Only when we are armed with accurate and timely information can we make smart decisions that will best prepare us to represent our clients, serve our communities and do the public good.
We appreciate your support as we strive to be your indispensable resource in this crisis.
From Empire State Development, we have received the following guidance about the extent to which lawyers’ may use their law offices under the Governor’s NY Pause Executive Order:
“Law firms and other providers of legal services are essential businesses only to the extent that their services are currently needed to support the essential functions of health care providers, utilities, state and local governments, the federal government, financial institutions, businesses that have been designated as essential; or to support criminal defendants in court proceedings or individuals in emergency family court proceedings; or to participate in proceedings concerning the imminent release or detention of individuals subject to criminal or civil detention under any applicable provision of state or federal law, or proceedings to address emergency risks to health, safety, or welfare.”
Information From the New York Courts on Operations During the Coronavirus
If you have specific questions about your juror service, a case already in court, or you need to start a court case, call:
Coronavirus Hotline: 833-503-0447.
Court of Appeals Hearing Arguments Tuesday, March 17th, 2020 Court of Appeals Hall, Albany, New York
The March session at the New York State Court of Appeals, the state’s highest court, is underway at Court of Appeals Hall in Albany. The Court remains open to the public, subject to the precautions recommended by state and national health authorities. Counsel who are scheduled to argue but cannot appear in person due to the current public health emergency, may contact the Clerk’s Office and request other arrangements, including oral argument by videoconference.
Video Arraignments Start in New York City Tuesday, March 17th, 2020 New York City Criminal Court, 100 Centre Street
Videoconference arraignments began this week in New York City Criminal Court at 100 Centre St. All parties but the defendant appeared in the courtroom. An increasing number of coronavirus cases has led to minimizing contact between judicial and non-judicial staff and the public.
New York State is experiencing an increase in cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and it is expected that the virus will continue to spread. Please be assured that the New York State Court System is monitoring developments closely and is working with our partners at all government levels to take appropriate measures as the situation progresses, and to ensure that courthouses statewide are prioritizing the health and safety of all visitors. Please continue to visit this site for updates on the latest developments concerning the New York State Courts.
Notice of Court Status: If conditions warrant court closure or any change in operations, notice will be posted on the court system’s web site at: www.nycourts.gov, and at: 800-268-7869. Notifications also will be sent out via the New York Courts Alert Emergency Portal (to sign up to receive alerts, visit: www.nycourts.gov/alerts/)
Juror Service: If you have been summoned for juror service or are serving on a jury, please see the notice from the Commissioner of Jurors regarding coronavirus and the flu.
Health Info: For the latest information on coronavirus and guidance on how to protect yourself, visit: the New York State Department of Health or the Centers for Disease Control. The State Department of Health also has a coronavirus hotline at 1-888-364-3065. Your healthcare professional always is the best person to consult for questions about your personal health and well-being.
This page will continue to be updated as developments occur. www.nycourts.gov
March 28, 2020
March 26, 2020
March 25, 2020
March 24, 2020
March 23, 2020
March 22, 2020
Virtual Court Operations to Commence in NYC Mid-week
March 21, 2020
Governor’s Executive Order 202.9
March 20, 2020
March 19, 2020
March 18, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 16, 2020
March 15, 2020
March 14, 2020
March 13, 2020
March 12, 2020
March 9, 2020
CLICK ON EACH PROGRAM BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO REGISTER/PURCHASE
Upcoming Live Webinars
How to Handle Legal Issues as a Healthcare Provider Dealing with Covid-19, Including Privacy, Employment Issues and Telemedicine
Friday, March 27th @ 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
1.5 MCLE Credits
Tuesday, March 31st @ 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
1.0 MCLE Credit
Wednesday, April 1st @ 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
1.0 MCLE Credit
Mediation in the Time of Coronavirus: How to Conduct an Effective Online Mediation – Observations & Tips for Mediators & Representatives
Friday, April 3rd @ 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
1.0 MCLE Credit
Monday, April 6th @ 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
1.0 MCLE Credit
Thursday, April 16th @ 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
1.0 MCLE Credit
Thursday, April 23rd @ 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 pm
1.0 MCLE Credit
Recorded On: March 18th
1.0 MCLE Credit
Recorded On: March 16th
1.0 MCLE Credit
- 3/11 Special Education Law Update (Syracuse)–Cancelled
- 3/12 A Guide to Diversity & Inclusion in the Workplace (Hauppauge)–New Date TBD
- 3/12-3/13 16th Annual International Estate Planning Institute (NYC)–Moved to 10/8-10/9
- 3/13 A Guide to Diversity & Inclusion in the 21st Century Workplace (NYC)–New Date TBD
- 3/13 U.S. Employment Laws in Practice (NYC)–New Date TBD
- 3/17 A Guide to Diversity & Inclusion in the 21st Century Workplace (Niagara Falls)–New Date TBD
- 3/17-3/19 Dispute Resolution Section: Mediation Training Program–Postponed
- 3/18 A Guide to Diversity & Inclusion in the 21st Century Workplace (Syracuse)–New Date TBD
- 3/18 A Guide to Residential Real Estate Closings (Rochester)–Moving to June
- 3/19 A Guide to Residential Real Estate Closings (Tarrytown)–Moving to June
- 3/19 A Guide to Diversity & Inclusion in the 21st Century Workplace (Ithaca)–New Date TBD
- 3/20 A Guide to Diversity & Inclusion in the 21st Century Workplace (Albany)–New Date TBD
- 3/20 An Introduction to FDA and FTC: Insider and Outside Counsel Highlights (NYC)–Moved to June 19
- 3/20 Introductory Lessons on Ethics & Civility (NYC)–New Date TBD
- 3/20 CPLR Update 2020 (NYC)–New Date TBD
- 3/20 Purchase and Sale of a Business 2020 (NYC)–New Date TBD
- 3/20-3/21 Dispute Resolution Section: Student Mediation Tournament–Cancelled
- 3/25 What Landlords & Tenants Need to Know About Local Law 97 (NYC)–Cancelled
- 3/25 Torts, Insurance and Compensation Law Section: 3rd and 4th District Reception–Postponed
- 3/26 How to be a “Foxhole” Buddy with a CEO or General Counsel (NYC)–New Date TBD
- 3/26-3/27 Bridging the Gap (NYC)–Updated to Webinar Only
- 3/28-4/1 Young Lawyers Section: Trial Academy–Cancelled
- 3/30 Business Arbitration and Mediation 2020 (NYC)–Moved to June 24
- 4/1-4/2 Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section: Legal Aspects of Producing —Postponed
- 4/2 Commercial and Federal Litigation Section: Kings County Luncheon–Cancelled
- 4/3 Introductory Lessons on Ethics & Civility (Albany)–New Date TBD
- 4/16-4/17 Bridging the Gap (London, UK)–New Date TBD
- 4/17 Fundamentals of Construction Contracts and Surety Bonds (NYC)–New Date TBD
- 4/17 Cultural Diversity in America’s Military (Albany)–Updated to Webinar Only
- 4/17 Introductory Lessons on Ethics & Civility (Long Island)–New Date TBD
- 4/20 Local and State Government Law Section: Spring Meeting–Cancelled
- 4/21 Fundamentals of Construction Contracts and Surety Bonds (Rochester)–New Date TBD
- 4/22 Family Court Trial Institute 2020: Orders of Protection (NYC)–New Date TBD
- 4/22 Environmental and Energy Law Section: Earth Day Events–All Postponed
- 4/22 Taking the Lead: Winning Strategies and Techniques for Commercial Cases (NYC)–New Date TBD
- 4/23 Family Court Trial Institute 2020: Orders of Protection (Westchester)–New Date TBD
- 4/24 Family Court Trial Institute 2020: Orders of Protection (Albany)–New Date TBD
- 4/27-4/28 International Section: Spring Meeting (Madrid)–Postponed
- 4/30-5/1 Business Law Section: Spring Meeting–Postponed
- 4/30-5/1 Elder Law and Special Needs Section: UNProgram–Postponed
- 4/30-5/3 Trusts and Estates Law Section: Spring Meeting–Postponed
- 5/1-5/3 Commercial and Federal Litigation Section: Spring Meeting–Cancelled
- 5/4 Dispute Resolution Section: Networking Event @ Yonkers Brewing Co.–Cancelled
- 5/5 Fundamentals of Construction Contracts and Surety Bonds (Uniondale)–New Date TBD
- 5/8 Family Court Trial Institute 2020: Orders of Protection (Rochester)–New Date TBD
- 5/8 Family Court Trial Institute 2020: Orders of Protection (Long Island)–New Date TBD
- 5/12 Fundamentals of Construction Contracts and Surety Bonds (Albany)–New Date TBD
- 5/16 Criminal Justice Section: Spring Meeting–Postponed
- 5/20-5/21 Dispute Resolution Section: ADR Clinic–Postponed
- 6/3 Divorce Anniversaries: 40 Years of Equitable Distribution (Albany)–New Date TBD
- 6/4 Divorce Anniversaries: 40 Years of Equitable Distribution (Westchester)–New Date TBD
- 6/5 Divorce Anniversaries: 40 Years of Equitable Distribution (Long Island)–New Date TBD
- 6/5 Divorce Anniversaries: 40 Years of Equitable Distribution (Rochester)–New Date TBD
- 6/12 Divorce Anniversaries: 40 Years of Equitable Distribution (NYC)–New Date TBD
- 10/14-10/16 International Section: Fall Meeting (London, UK)–Postponed